Don’t waste your time creating something that isn’t going to work for you.
Here’s a step by step guide.
Let’s get the Who, What, Why and How explained for you.
First up: Why?
Why do you want to create a giveaway?
· Is it to grow your email list so you can retarget to them later?
· Maybe to increase your followers (vanity followers are quite useless though, you’ll be wanting them to be potential customers followers.)
· Get new customers (this should actually be the WHOLE Why)
What is going to be your giveaway?
An ebook, a product, a coupon discounting your product/service, a free sample of your service?
Whatever you choose here, don’t make it random – keep it on brand. E.g. if your business is selling jewellery, don’t give away a coffee.
If your business IS a café, give away a coffee ☕️
Who are you targeting?
Be very clear about this, as it will be relevant when we do the actual ad.
Make the giveaway relevant to your target audience.
This is going to take a few steps, grab a coffee, turn the TV on for the kids and turn your phone off.
Decide on what you are going to ask your followers to do.
You might require one or more of the following:
Share a photo.
Tag your business in a Facebook status.
Tag a friend.
Check-in at your business location.
Like your business’s Facebook page.
Like the business page of the business you’re partnering with for the contest.
Fill out a form on a landing page.
Make it REALLY easy, “confused customers don’t buy.”
1. Design the graphic. Have a look at the Insights on your Facebook page and see which images work better. This will give you more of an idea about what your target audience likes. If you don’t have more than 100 followers, you won’t be able to see Insights, so just wing it. (My years in teaching businesses social media, shows me that YOU are usually your target market – so do something that appeals to you.) There are also websites like https://app.advertsuite.com/ where you can see what ads are working well (no affiliation). You can also look at your competitors FB business pages, go to transparency and follow the prompts to see the ads they are using. I design everything in Canva and Crello. (Be mindful of those ones in Crello that look like a FB post and have the cool animations that jump out at you – they are against FB ads policies)
Now here I’m going to either confuse you, or make it easier…but I wanted to give you all options. First one is quick and dirty, second is strategic and long serving. Maybe do both and test to see which one is best?
· Put the post on Your FB busines page. Pin it to the top. Click in the top right of the post. Select pin top of page.
· Double check the Contest Rules on Facebook as they change.
Write your content, include what you can win, how to enter the contest (most important!), who can participate, duration of the giveaway/entry deadlines, method of winner selection, date and method of winner announcement. Also include this statement: “This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.”
Boost the post targeting your specific audience.
Choose a winner. You can use something like Random Name Picker to make it fair, or do a fun video with you picking a name out of a hat/coffee cup etc. If you asked people to ‘caption this’, or submit a photo, then let people know why you chose the winner. Make sure that winner has done all of the ‘things’ you asked them to do, e.g. liked, shared. Announce the winner and tag them. Let them know how you are going to contact them.
Create a ‘thank you’ post. You may like to offer all of the other people on your page a ‘sympathy’ discount.
Take a look at the success from the post. Did you achieve your goals? What would work better? If it was a huge success, when are you scheduling another one?
· Open a Mailchimp account (it’s free)
· Create an audience
· Create a campaign – landing page
· Name your landing page and choose the audience
· Select lead generation
· Replace the logo with the image you have created for your giveaway.
· Type something like: I hope you win this giveaway of the [insert your product/service, explain again what they will win and the benefits of the product/service] Winners will be drawn on the [insert date] and be contacted via email. Pop your email address in below so I know how to contact you when you win. Remember to follow all the steps in the original Facebook post to be in the running! Best of luck. Take care, Victoria
· Open email block and click first name
· Change button test from subscribe to Click here to be in the running
Scroll down and change conformation message to Success! You've been added to the giveaway.
· Delete the rest of the blocks and click save
· Change URL if you choose
· Click edit audience, add tag of FB giveaway [insert product name/service]
· Click publish
· Copy URL.
Now set up the Facebook Ad.
· Open Facebook Business Manager and go to your page
· Go to Ads Manager
· Click the green Create button
· Click traffic and name all of the 3 sections FB giveaway [insert your product/service] Click continue
· Scroll to bottom and click next
· Keep it clicked on website, set your budget, set your start and end date, set your audience based in your target market (this is the most important part), click manual placements, unclick all expect FB, scroll down and click next.
· Make sure it’s set on your Business FB page, keep it on single image or video, click add media (needs to be the EXACT one you used in your landing page), upload it and click next.
· In Primary text, type in what you can win, how to enter the contest (most important!), who can participate, duration of the giveaway/entry deadlines, method of winner selection, date and method of winner announcement. Also include this statement: “This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.” E.g. Win this amazing set of Stress Less At Your Desk card deck! Like our page, tag a mate (there's 2 to win!) and follow the link to let us know how to contact you! You find out if you've won on the 1st of March. “This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
· In Headline, put your product/service you are giving away
· In description, write the benefits of your product/service
· Scroll down to website and put in the Mailchimp URL from the landing page you made.
· Copy your primary text.
· Keep everything else the same and click publish. FB will go over it to see if it goes against any of its policies and will either approve it, or tell you it’s been rejected.
· Go back into your FB Business Manager and find your Facebook Pixel.
· Copy this pixel and go back into Mailchimp.
· Open your landing page, scroll to the bottom and click tracking. Put the pixel in.
· Go into your FB business page
· Put the post on Your FB business page. Pin it to the top. Click in the top right of the post. Select pin top of page.
· Paste what you copied from your Primary text in your Ad into the content of the post and add the Mailchimp landing page URL to it. Remember to use the SAME image. Add a description of the product/service and what benefits the customer gets.
Next: Don’t touch it. Let FB do its thing.
· On the date you said you are drawing the prize, do it. (See above)
· Tag whoever has won on FB and congratulate them.
· Go into Mailchimp and email every one of the tagged list about who has won. Offer them a sympathy coupon and make sure you give them a direct link to your product.
· Take a look at the success from the giveaway. Did you achieve your goals? What would work better? If it was a huge success, when are you scheduling another one?
· Because you put your FB pixel on the Mailchimp landing page, you can now create a FB ad specifically to those people that went to your landing page, but may not have put in their email address. You can also create a lookalike audience based on the data FB collected and retarget to them.
Did you find this helpful? Let me know in the comments 😀